Home Civil Litigation Lawyer Is It Possible To Bring A Civil Suit For Vandalism?

Is It Possible To Bring A Civil Suit For Vandalism?

by Nimit Soni

Vandalism is an intentional property crime that includes harming or crushing someone else’s property; generally a vehicle, house, or building. Individuals frequently portray being vandalized like an individual attack. People often describe being vandalized as a personal assault. When someone breaks into our property and vandalizes it with graffiti, by breaking windows, slashing tires, or gluing locks, it can leave us feeling shaken and violated. On top of this, it costs cash to fix the harm and reestablish the property to the manner in which it was. Even when a property is insured, victims are usually left with a deductible to pay before the insurance will cover the remaining damages.

If you are the victim of vandalism, you may be staring if criminal charges can be filed against the perpetrator or whether you are capable to make a civil suit to recover for your financial losses. We understand that you may be feeling overwhelmed, annoyed, and chaotic. We hope to give some valuable information to help you move forward and seek the justice you deserve.

What should I do if I am the victim of vandalism?

At its core, vandalism is a criminal act. The first thing you should do if your property was vandalized is to file a police report. Give any evidence that you may have, including pictures of the damage, security footage, contact information for witnesses, and approximately when you believe the vandalism occurred. From there, the government will examine to see if there is enough evidence to file a criminal complaint or charges.

After requesting the police, you should reach to your insurance company. In most situations, vandalism will be covered through the victim’s insurance policy after the deductible is sufficed.

  • Comprehensive auto insurance policies cover physical damage to vehicles
  • Renter’s or homeowner’s insurance covers physical damage to living spaces
  • A business owners policy (BOP) covers damage to the physical part of a business

Can I file a civil suit for vandalism?

If you are in a position where you are not sure how you are going to pay the full price to restore your property, then you may be wondering about a civil suit. The purpose of a civil suit is to recover monetary damages from the defendant in order to cover the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged or destroyed property. If your property was damaged badly enough that it is no longer usable – such as arson that burned the building to the ground – then you may be able to recover the cost of the property. When this happens, it signifies that in addition to jail time, the court will dictate compensation (the cost of the damage). Note that compensation can be hard to authorize when the respondent has no monetary methods. 

Contact a physical issue legal advisor to talk about your lawful rights. The best way to know whether you will have the option to get a case in common court is to talk about your circumstance with an individual physical issue lawyer. On the odd chance that the lawyer takes working on it, they will assemble all proof and meet observers to construct a convincing case dependent on the laws in your state. 

Seek the help of a personal injury attorney

If your property was damaged or destroyed because of the intentional act of another, contact a private injury lawyer to discuss your legal rights. In some cases, it is possible to file a civil claim in order to pay to replace or repair the property. 

You may also like